G-Dragon Profile and Facts
|G-Dragon Profile and Facts|
Kwon Ji Young or better known by his stage name G-Dragon (GD) is the leader and rapper of the famous boy band Big Bang. G-Dragon was born on August 18, 1988 in Seoul, South Korea. Now he is known for his quirky dress style.
G-Dragon first entered the entertainment world at a very young age, 5 years old. At that time he had joined a dance group called "Little Roora". Little Roora is known to have released a Christmas album before being terminated by the label.
Knowing the fact that his dance group career was in danger of being stopped, little GD told his mother that he wanted a normal child's life. However, on a trip with his family, GD met the CEO of SM Entertainment, Lee Soo Man, at a dance competition. Seeing the talent of the "One of A Kind" singer, Soo Man then recruited him.
Under the auspices of SM Entertainment which is not as big as it is now, GD felt undeveloped and decided to leave after joining for 5 years. "At that time I felt the company did not know what they wanted with me. Besides, they were too busy with seniors and were not as big as they are now," he said.
GD then stepped into a new chapter in his musical career. He became acquainted with the Wu-Tang-Clan, his mentor in rapping. With the help of People Crew, GD was involved in the production of the South Korean hip-hop group album Flex in 2001. That's when GD emerged as a rapper at the age of only 13, which at the same time made him the youngest rapper from South Korea.
His slick appearance on the Flex album managed to impress the CEO of YG Entertainment, one of South Korea's 3 biggest artist managements today. However, GD's initial training period with YG Entertainment was not as easy as imagined. As a junior, the younger brother of Kwon Dami has to do trivial jobs such as cleaning the studio and delivering water to seniors.
The artist who is known for his skill in writing songs was originally planned to debut with his partner Do Young Bae, or better known as Taeyang, in the duo group GDYB. Although in the end the plan changed. Finally he and Taeyang debuted with T.O.P, Seungri and Daesung under the name Big Bang, August 19, 2006.
Together with Big Bang, the singer with blood type A has reaped many achievements. His expertise was contained in the single "Haru-Haru" which catapulted the name Big Bang. He has also been awarded as the best songwriter in several award ceremonies. GD wrote several titles for Big Bang and became hits, including "Blue", "Monster", and "Fantastic Baby".
In addition to being active in the group, G-Dragon has repeatedly released his solo albums. "%One of a Kind%", "Norwegian Wood", and "oup D'Etat" are testament to the creativity this tattooed singer has. Like his other compositions, "Coup d'Etat", also recently achieved achievements not only in his native country but also at the world level. G-Dragon's second solo album was released in 2 stages online, September 2 and 5, 2013. "Coup d'Etat Part 1" successfully debuted at number one on Billboard's World Albums chart.
Behind his success as an artist, GD was once caught in a drug use case when he was caught smoking marijuana at a club. However, at that time he defended himself by saying he had smoked a cigarette that an unknown person gave him. In his love life, GD is often rumored to have a special relationship with a Japanese model and actress from the film "Norwegian Wood" named Kiko Mizuhara.
Until now, the singer who had collaborated with Missy Elliot was known to remain humble. Several times his photo while looking down at a music event made netizens amazed. The reason is, G-Dragon looks down to 90 degrees at his juniors.
Facts about G-Dragon
- G-Dragon was born in Seoul, South Korea.
- Has one sister (named Kwon Dami).
- Education: Masters in Postmodern Music at Gyeong Hee University.
- Shio: Dragon.
- The short version of G-Dragon is GD.
- One of his nicknames is “Iguana Idol” (because he changes hair color several times).
- Considered the King of K-Pop.
- His first appearance on TV was in the children's TV show entitled “Bbo Bbo Bbo”.
- At the age of 7, GD became a member of "Little Roora".
- When he was about 8 years old, GD became a S.M. trainee. Entertainment (for 5 years).
- At the age of 12, GD became a YGE trainee.
- Since the age of 12, GD was together with another Big Bang member, namely Taeyang.
- GD is a childhood friend of T.O.P and Kangin from Super Junior.
- When he was a trainee, his best friend was JunK from 2PM.
- At first, Taeyang and G-DRAGON took 6 years to debut as a hip-hop duo, GDYB, but plans changed and 3 more members were later added.
- G-Dragon can speak English.
- Has several tattoos.
- GD is very very shy and simple in real life.
- Favorite food: Ganjang gaejang (Crab dish preserved in soy sauce).
- Favorite colors: black and red. (BigBang Best Music Video Collection 2006-2013 Tonight Making)
- G-Dragon's lucky number is 8. It's a number that is important to him because the date, month, and year of his birth contain that number. (Ask In A Box)
- Favorite Artists: Pharrell Williams, Jay-Z, Blackstreet, Wu-Tang Clan, Beyonce and Rihanna.
- GD is the main composer and producer at Big Bang.
- In 2009, GD released his first solo album entitled "Heartbreaker".
- The debut album won the 2009 Mnet Asian Music Awards Album of the Year category.
- GD is the Kpop idol who received the most song royalties (from the songs he composed himself).
- Is a Chanel brand ambassador in Korea.
- Become the 'face' of Korean Moonshot, along with Sandara Park (2ne1).
- In 2015, GQ Korea named him the Man of the Year.
- His official height is 177 cm (approximately 5'10"), but he is rumored to be around 168-169 cm (5'6.1″).
- Has 2 Shar-Pei dogs: Gaho and Jolie.
- Before becoming a singer, GD once dreamed of becoming a fashion designer.
- G-Dragon enlisted in the military on February 27, 2018.
- G-Dragon has completed his military service on October 26, 2019.
- G-Dragon's ideal type: “Someone who can cook well. I don't know how to cook anything, so I want him to be able to teach me in a field I'm not good at.” GD also likes girls who run away when he tries to chase him, but will come over and give in to his arms when he stops trying.
Have any other interesting facts about G-Dragon? Share to us by write in the comments bellow.
If you fell this post useful, consider to Donate us to keep us post great news about K Pop and Idol.